The university of Lincoln sports centre, gift shop, and gym

My 5 Favourite Things About The University of Lincoln Gym

I love the gym at the university of Lincoln! Here are my top 5 reasons why.

1. The Friendly Atmosphere

I’ve tried several gyms around the city, and the gym at the university has the best atmosphere by far. When you first walk in you’ll be greeted by the friendly staff at the desk who are willing to answer any questions you have, I often find myself stopping for a chat before or after my workouts! When you’re in the gym itself, you’ll find that the other gym users are very respectful of other people and their space. One thing that always concerns me about going to the gym is whether the other gymgoers will be rude or make unnecessary comments about other people, particularly as I’m disabled, but I’ve never had a negative experience! Everyone is focused on their own workouts and their own goals, meaning I can truly focus on mine too.

A picture of stationary bikes in the university of Lincoln gym, in front of treadmills

2. The Equipment

There’s a lot of equipment you can utilise in the main gym, including:

• Stationary cycles
  • Cross Trainers
  • Treadmills
  • A large free-weight section with three squat racks, a Smith machine, a cable machine and several benches.
  • Many weight machines such as a leg press, leg extension, lat pulldown, chest press, shoulder press, seated row, chest fly machine and hip abduction machines

I tend to warm up by cycling, then move to the weights section for the remainder of my workout, but you can do entirely weights or entirely cardio! There are plenty of machines and equipment for everyone, and the staff are always willing to help you use something you’re unsure about.

a picture of the university of lincoln gym showing treadmills, stationary bikes, cross trainers, weight machines, and free weights

3. The Studio

The studio is one of my favourite parts of the gym, not only is it full of more equipment, but it’s a great place to go for quieter workouts, you can use a mat from the side of the studio and place it wherever is best for you. They also have rowing machines, smaller weight bars, kettlebells and yoga balls!

My favourite thing to do in the studio is yoga, lots of light comes through the big windows and doors, so it’s a really peaceful place to put your headphones in and relax.

A view of the gym at the university of lincoln from the outside

4. The Cost

The cost of gyms is one of the main barriers I’ve faced while trying to find somewhere suitable. Many gyms charge between £25-£50 per month, and that’s something I definitely cannot afford. The university gym offers loads of different payment options, and you’re not bound to any kind of contract either. The standard monthly gym membership is £17.99, but there are many ways you can get it cheaper by paying more upfront.

• Monthly: £17.99
  • 3 months: £49.95 (£16.65 per month)
  • 6 months: £99.95 (£16.65 per month)
  • 12 months: £179.95 (£14.99 per month)
  • 24 months: £234.99 (£9.79 per month)
  • 36 months: £299.99 (£8.33 per month)
  • Early bird offer (valid September 2023 to May 2023): £115 (£14.37 per month)
The early bird offer at the university of Lincoln which is £115 for the year from September 2023 to May 2024 including classes

5. The Shop

Having the gift shop in the sports centre is really handy, and there have been many times myself or my friends have relied on it. One time my friend forgot to bring her gym top with her, so she bought one from the gift shop on our way in. Similarly, I’ve forgotten to bring my gym bottle with me (which was due for an upgrade anyway), so I’ve bought a new one from the shop! It’s also really handy if you’re wanting to pick up a gift for friends or family, as you can do it before or after your workouts.

A picture of the gift shop in the university of lincoln sports centre gym showing football t-shirts for sale