Illustrated by Abigail Dannatt

Benefits of meditation

Meditation is a technique that has been practised for thousands of years in lots of different cultures around the world.…

Meditation is a technique that has been practised for thousands of years in lots of different cultures around the world. It involves focusing your mind on a specific object, thought, or activity to achieve mental clarity and calmness.

Meditation is a simple practice that can improve physical and mental health. As a student, practising meditation can bring you many benefits that can help you in your academic and personal life. 

Why is this useful for me?

I (along with many students) am a long-time sufferer of anxiety. It can be easy to be overwhelmed with even the smallest tasks and spiral into negative thought patterns that feel out of control. Meditation helps me to order my thoughts, so it doesn’t feel like everything is happening at once and I can take it one step at a time.

Anxiety makes it very hard for me to sleep sometimes, a lot of the time I lay awake, thinking about something I said earlier or the many things I need to do the next day. Meditation relaxes me and gets me more in that present moment so I can actually get some sleep. Additionally, it also improves my concentration. So, I can get all my work and everyday tasks done throughout the day without feeling overwhelmed. 

How do I meditate?

The way I meditate is mostly at night when I’m about to go to sleep. This is normally the time I take for myself to destress from the day and let my social battery recharge. I won’t be distracted by housemates or daily tasks when it’s later in the evening.

Whenever I feel like there are a million thoughts floating around in my head this is the perfect time. I like to listen to videos on YouTube, as they help guide me and are helpful if you are a beginner. My personal favourite is Headspace. They have some short videos for free that really help guide and relax you, with beautiful animations to aid in calming you. 

Sometimes when out and about I get anxious and feel like something bad is going to happen to me. A quick trip to somewhere quiet, like the bathroom or outdoor area, is a great opportunity to do some breathing exercises I’ve learned during my meditation time can help bring me back down to earth and I can enjoy my excursion. 

In conclusion, meditation is a useful tool to calm nerves and anxiety. I personally use it to help me sleep and aid me when I’m getting all worked up in social situations.