man wearing a watch, typing on a laptop

Mastering time management

In the current situation, the days seem to be merging into one, and it’s easy to lose track of deadlines and assignments. Therefore, it is important that we understand how to manage our time effectively.

Procrastination and I are very close friends, but even I understand the importance of planning things out when it comes to my university work, and when it comes to my free time. Here are some tips on how to become a pro at managing your time!

Write everything down

There are several articles that suggest writing things down is the key to success.

Having one place where every deadline, exam, and meeting is clearly written down is a good place to begin. This way you can visually see what it is you have to do and can plan your time around it, ensuring you don’t miss anything. Understanding what you need to do and for when you need to do it is one of the most important aspects of time management.

Another good idea is writing down TV shows or films you have been meaning to watch. That way you know where to begin with your free time!

Know your priorities!

This is the next step from writing everything down. What I like to do is organise each piece of work into a list according to which is due first, or what I can get done quicker than the others. It’s generally a good rule to do the work that is due first… well first. However, I find that if I hit a roadblock when doing one piece of work, switching gears and doing something else, helps me come up with new ideas.

Find a balance

It is perfectly okay to have days off! Although you may feel guilty about not doing work, taking mental health days is good for you. Now I’m not saying you should be spending all your time on Netflix, but understanding when you need to take a break is crucial for your productivity. You should always factor into your schedule hours where you are doing something other than work. By doing this you are able to ‘refresh’ your mind, and it is likely you’ll view your work with a clear head when you come back to it.

These are just a few of the ways you can learn to be better at time management. If you would like to learn more tips and get an insight into how other students manage their time, check out the Fresher Take Podcast!

Remember to be kind to yourself and each other, and stay safe!

This article is featured on Learning at Lincoln. 

Please note: This content was created prior to Coronavirus, and some things might be different due to current laws and restrictions. Please refer to the University of Lincoln for the latest information.