paperclips and paper scattered on desk

How to manage your workload

As I’m sure you’re all aware, it’s coming up to the end of the year, which means deadlines. A lot of them. So I thought I’d share some hints and tips on how I manage my workload.

List your deadlines

I make a list of all my deadlines and put them in order of due date. That way I know which deadlines I should prioritise first.

Make a schedule

As well as listing my deadlines in order of due date, I also make a schedule so it’s clear how long I have to spend on each assessment, which means I don’t end up spending too much time on one and not leave enough time for another.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-vEUd6JjNt/

Do not multitask

Throw the idea of multitasking out the window. Concentrate on one piece of work at a time to avoid confusion.

Find a suitable workspace

It always helps me when I am in a suitable workspace to be able to concentrate. I usually work at a table, I find it very hard to concentrate working on the sofa or from my bed.

Avoid procrastination

Hard one, I know. It’s easier said than done but avoid it where possible. Don’t watch TV in the background as this will cause inevitable distraction. If you can’t work in silence like me, put your headphones in and listen to music that you don’t know that well so you can’t get distracted. If needed do a little bit of work at a time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-9Y3oqlNSg/

Those are a few tips that I tend to stick to in order to get my work in on time! Hopefully you can learn a little from this in the upcoming months of deadlines!

This article is featured on Learning at Lincoln. 

Please note: This content was created prior to Coronavirus, and some things might be different due to current laws and restrictions. Please refer to the University of Lincoln for the latest information.