A lady pouring tea from a teapot into a mug

Coping in isolation during COVID-19

This post was written during the pandemic and contains information specific to it. The past few days have been somewhat…

This post was written during the pandemic and contains information specific to it.

The past few days have been somewhat hectic with news of COVID-19 being everywhere, universities moving to online teaching and things changing daily – it can all become very stressful.

It will be especially stressful for those who, like me, fall into the high-risk category (where we are especially vulnerable to this virus). I only have one and half lungs, which means that I have to take additional precautions, limiting where I go, spending almost all of my time inside to minimise the risk.

This increased level of self isolation makes some things even more difficult, such as not being able to go to leave the house even for a short walk. There are, however, ways to cope and I really wanted to share these to anyone in a similar position.

Look at the assignments you have to complete

It can be very easy to get distracted by everything that is going on right now, but try and take this time to look at your assignments and see what you have due soon and focus on doing them. Make the most of this extra time to plan and finish that assignment that you have been putting off. With most things online now you will still be able to access Library services and contact your tutor, but also keep in contact with your course-mates just in case you miss an update.

Focus on doing the work that normally would be done in class

I know for some this may be hard because working online is a whole different ball game. I struggle with it too, however, we have to make the effort to stay up to date. This can also help provide structure to your day, and if you don’t understand what you are meant to be doing, just email your lecturer and they should be able to point you in the right direction! Help and support is available if you’re struggling to join an online session or can’t find a lecture recording.

Put you and your mental health first

Even though this time can be used to study and get work done, if you feel like you are struggling, there is help out there. Your lecturers are there to help, there is also The Big White Wall, Student Wellbeing services and even Samaritans.

Now that everyone needs to stay at home it is more important that ever to reach out and make sure everyone’s doing ok. Make sure to keep regular contact with your friends, not just sending messages but FaceTime too, because it will help to see a friendly face.

I understand this time can feel very lonely, I really do, but you are not alone in all of this, even if it feels like you might be. Taking care of yourself is top priority in all of this!

Remember to stay safe and reach out should you need it!

via GIPHY