The Differences Between A-levels/Collage and Uni

A-levels/collage vary a lot to university, and the transition can feel like a big step. Other than moving to a…

A-levels/collage vary a lot to university, and the transition can feel like a big step. Other than moving to a new city and a starting a new subject, the style and pace of work is different too.

Lecture Dynamics

For example, the nature and layout of lectures are different to prior lessons you may be used to. They are less interactive and more often than not, are faster paced. Fortunately, most lectures are recorded, so you can go back in your own time and listen to parts you may not have picked up initially. Similarly, if there is no time to ask questions during the lecture, there are sometimes online platforms where you can post questions which is useful.

Independent Learning

I found work at university to be a lot more independent than a-levels, you no longer have a teacher checking over your notes etc., so it becomes solely your responsibly to stay on top of work. However, this is not a bad thing, it gives you more freedom in when and how you choose to study.

Increased Workload

Depending on what course you study, the volume of work may increase. I study medicine and initially felt quite behind on work, but I promise you, you will not be the only one. I found that managing my time effectively and working with others helped tremendously with this. It is a transition so give yourself time to adjust.

Note-Taking Transformation

At university, I found my style of making notes changed too. Previously I would hand write all my work, including flash cards etc. However, since being at university I found that this was far too time consuming due to the volume of lectures. I switched to typing out my notes and using platforms such as Anki to help me revise. This is something to bear in mind when starting university and taking the time to learn what works best for you.

Grading System

Another big difference at university is that you are now graded with classes rather than letters or numbers; for some courses it may simply be a pass of fail with a set percentage. I found this took time to get used to. I went from striving for grades to now just needing to pass, which felt strange. Do not feel disheartened if you perhaps do not achieve what you expect to straight away, university work is more challenging but with time you will get there.

Focusing on Specialization

The final big difference about university is that you are now studying just the one subject that you have been striving towards. You don’t have to learn material to make ends meet. I found this gives you much more motivation and keeps you more interested in the work, making it feels like less of a chore.

I have enjoyed university much more than a-levels, you have more freedom, more independence, more opportunities, and can now study just the one subject you are really interested in. It is a step up, but you would not have gotten a place it you weren’t capable.