taped up cardboard boxes sat on a bed

Best of: What to bring to uni and what to leave behind

When moving away from home it can be tempting to bring as many items as possible with you. But put the toastie machine down for a second and read these tips first, so you actually know what to pack…

“Make your room feel homely” Lauren, Biomedical Science, Graduate

When moving into your accommodation it’s important to make the space feel comfortable and cosy. Some people (like myself) go to town with making their room their own, and others just like the necessities. I made a collage board full of photos before I came to uni and it is my favourite thing to look at when I’m feeling stressed. Don’t be scared about bringing your teddy bear either, everyone has one and it’s just a lovely comfort to have on days when you miss home.

via GIPHY

“Invest in a mattress topper” Jess, 2nd year Creative Advertising

If you’re like me and you opted to stay in halls, at least for your first year, you’ll know first hand the mattresses could be comfier. After a few weeks of restless nights I decided to invest in a mattress topper. Not only do they transform your bed from it feeling like you’re sleeping on a rock, to a cloud of happiness, they’re very affordable too!

via GIPHY

“Bring some of your country’s food” Chi, MA Education

If you’re an international student, bring with you all the snacks, dried ingredients or any delicacies from your home country that you think you will crave when living in the UK. I brought with me some heavenly Vietnamese coffee and some instant seasonings for Vietnamese dishes. Just remember to check that whatever food you bring adheres to the airlines’ regulations.

“Don’t bring your entire wardrobe” Jess, 2nd year Creative Advertising

Moving into halls, you’re going to be quite tight on space…so the last thing you want to do is waste space on clothes that you’re not going to wear. If there’s something you haven’t worn in over six months don’t bother bringing it. Also, if you’re planning on visiting home at some point, try and only bring a seasonal wardrobe. So when you move in September bring your winter clothes, and then you can switch them out in the springtime.

Please note: This content was created prior to Coronavirus, and some things might be different due to current laws and restrictions. Please refer to Government advice and the University of Lincoln for the latest information.