Smiling girl in a library holding a book.

How an American can study at Lincoln, and the culture when you’re here

Prior to arriving to campus, I had to figure out how to finance my education so I applied for federal financial aid which is the same process to apply aboard as it is to American universities.

The University of Lincoln US Loans department helped me budget how much I would need to apply for and provided me with thorough instructions on how to fill out the forms.

Once I arrived on campus, I opened a UK bank account and the money was transferred and I was officially enrolled.

Life on campus is active with students doing various activities, fundraisers, art projects, social and sports gatherings and study groups.

There are food trucks, entertainment, and even a Student’s Union night club.

Students and faculty mingle and I really enjoy how personable the faculty is.

In my department in the Lincoln International Business School, faculty are willing to meet for coffee and a chat to go over assignments or collaborate over research.

The café and food service staff are so friendly, and since I frequent the same café in my department building the staff there know my name and ask me about my life which makes me feel a part of the UoL community.

Campus is also easy to navigate which makes it easy when you have to walk across campus in-between class and the walk is along the river so you have swans to greet you.

Most student housing is a 15 minute walk or less to campus which is nice when you are running late to class. The library is open 24/7 so sometimes I am walking through campus late at night and feel safe doing so since I always run into security patrolling and other students.

Independent study is prevalent in the UK with my contact hours for one course being 4 hours a week and an expected 10 hours of independent study per module, so I enjoy being on campus and there are quiet places to study in every building.

Master’s students even have their own floor with offices and the library has a silent floor. For group studying there are social spaces such as the Tower Bar, and the library’s main floors. I am also on campus a lot for the free workshops and seminars on various topics to help me get ahead academically and in my career.

What I really like about UoL is that everything is easy to access and the culture pushes you to succeed.

Written by USA student Jalysa Espinoza, who is studying an MSc in Crisis and Disaster Management.

All information in this piece nods to the likeness of the University of Lincoln experience before the COVID-19 pandemic.

Please note: This content was created prior to the Coronavirus pandemic, and some information might differ due to current laws and restrictions. Please refer to Government advice and the University of Lincoln for the latest information.