Hi everyone my name is Hannah and I'm a third year student studying Biomedical Science. I'll be starting my MSc in Data Science and Applied Analytics next year. Outside of university I've really enjoyed teaching myself to crochet over the…
Unsure of your future career? Considering a few different options? Are you the first person in your family to attend university? The 1 Hour Project is a fantastic way to increase your knowledge and employability at the same time!
What is the 1 Hour Project?
The 1 Hour Project is a non-profit charity that provides the opportunity for underrepresented students to get access to a professional network by having up to three 1 hour conversations with industry professionals from a career sector they’re interested in.
How does 1 Hour Project work?
1. Once you’ve signed up for the project via the website or by following the link in the Instagram bio, you’ll then be contacted via email by the 1 Hour Project team asking to fill in a form regarding what kind of professional you’d like to be matched with. Consider what industry sector you’re interested in – don’t worry if you’re debating between a few as you can have up to 3 conversations with people in the different industries you’re looking into.
2. Then, you’ll be asked to list 2 people to vouch for you. Although this may seem daunting, it isn’t about asking for a reference. This is a simple verification from 2 people who have witnessed your skills in action. For example, this could be your tutor, someone in a society you’re a part of, someone you’ve worked on a group project with or presented to, a colleague at a part-time job or someone you’ve spoken with at the careers centre or student wellbeing. It’ll only take them 2 minutes to verify and once that’s completed you’re all set!
3. The team at the 1 Hour Project will then work to match you with an expert and you’ll work with them to find a time that suits you both for a teams meeting. Whilst waiting for your meeting, it’s a good idea to compile a list of questions you’d like to ask. For example…
- What is an average workday like for you?
- Is there anything you’d suggest I do now to put me in a better position for this career sector?
- What is something that surprised you in this sector?
- What do you enjoy about your industry?
Although these are just a few examples, you can ask these experts anything you’d like. It’s a great way to inform yourself and feel more confident about your future career path. Most experts choose to keep in touch with their matched students, giving them the opportunity to network and get a head start in the industry. However, these conversations can also allow you to realise that this particular career sector may not be for you. But don’t worry, you will be able to have another meeting with someone in a different sector you’re considering.
Along with this, the 1 Hour Project is also a part of the Lincoln Award! It contributes 10 points towards the 30-point section of the award and is a great way to add them up whilst increasing your networking opportunities at the same time!
The 1 Hour Project team are also encouraging students to tag them on their LinkedIn after completing the project to increase the number of students who are exposed to it and help them reach their goal of matching 5000 students with 5000 experts!
Follow the Instagram page to find out more information about the @1hour_project or check out the website here.