Hey! I'm Emma, I'm from Sheffield and I am in my third year studying law here at UoL! I am a huge fan of all animals, a good movie marathon, and cooking all my favourite food. I'm also super lucky…
Whether you are applying for a job while you study or preparing for jobs once graduating, applications and handling rejections can be difficult, so making sure you’re prepared is really important.
In terms of applying for a job, there are always a few key things you should remember.
- Make sure your CV is organised and clearly set out – don’t forget you can get support from the Careers and Employability team at the university.
- Give yourself enough time to fill out the application – don’t rush it, you need to make sure it is accurate and doesn’t have any spelling errors
- Remember to speak to the people you intend to add to your application as referees before you add them
- Make sure you answer everything needed on the application
- Check your contact details are correct on your application
If you are rejected after applying for a job, here are some tips:
- Don’t be disheartened – not all jobs are right for everyone
- Ask for advice following your interview – not all employers will offer this but it is worth asking and hearing their thoughts and areas for improvement
- Take into account and reflect on the advice you were given and use this when applying for the next job – it will really help you when you are completing your application and if you get an interview
- Keep your options open – don’t limit yourself to just applying for a single job, apply for everything you find interesting!
- Stay positive! There will be something out there for you, keep applying, reflecting and persevering