students at Lincoln University

Awesome opportunities at Lincoln

Article for University of Lincoln students who want to know about opportunities available to them at the University.

My Experience:

There are a variety of opportunities that students can get involved in at Lincoln. Currently, I’m in the process of completing a research project, am a STEM ambassador and am also a course representative – where I represent student academic views and concerns on my course.
I have also completed the Lincoln award, have participated in volunteering and in a range of societies.

Participating in these activities has not only boosted my confidence but has made me gain a variety of skills, including interpersonal, problem-solving, teamwork, commercial awareness, digital communication, project planning and leadership and management.

Get Involved:

Societies:

There is a range of societies that students can get involved in at Lincoln, these can be linked or completely different to your course.
Participating in societies is the best way to find people who have the same interests and passion as you. It’s also a great way to network beyond your course, gaining new skills and improving your employability.

In my first year, I participated in the Hindu Society, Chemistry Society and Desi Society where I made a lot of new international friends and learned a lot about different cultures. This year I am hoping to join the Yoga Society as I want to practice the different yoga styles and techniques.

Lincoln Award:

The Lincoln Award is an employability framework designed to enhance, support and recognise extracurricular activities which involves completing a variety of activities. This advantageous award supports students in learning and developing their employability skills, where each student has to pass and complete an assessment centre.

Duke of Edinburgh Award:

This is a life-changing experience which is open to young people, where you can make new friends for life, have an opportunity to discover new talents and interests, as well as, develop valuable skills for life and work.

The Duke of Edinburgh Award involves three levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold which includes completing four sections: participating in activities, helping the community and environment, planning, training and completing an expedition and working with a team on a residential activity.

Volunteering:

This is a great way to make a difference on campus and to the wider community. Take advantage of the opportunities which are on offer and make your CV not only stand out from the crowd but also helps you to build new skills and give back to the community while you are having fun.

More details of these activities can be found at https://lincolnsu.com/home, also keep an eye out
for the taster sessions for societies on Fresher’s week.