Student on a video call with her parents

Keeping in contact with friends from home

Now that I am studying abroad, and especially during this period of social distancing, keeping in contact with family and friends from home is of great importance. It is not only a way to let my loved ones know how I am doing and that I still think of them all the time, but also crucial to my mental health. Although it is much easier now to catch up with family and friends from home through video calls or text messages, it can still be difficult due to the different time zones and because everyone is busy with their own life. Here are some of the things I have done to remind myself to stay connected with them:

Make a list of people from home that you should keep in touch with, and keep note who you have talked to this week or month to make sure you do not lose contact with someone important

I try to video-call my parents and best friend at least once a week. One night a few weeks ago, my friend and I used Skype to watch a Netflix movie together just like we used to do in real life.

Dedicate time to calling or texting them

Your family and friends may not know of your schedule and are likely to not want to interrupt your studies and life in the UK, especially when there are significant time differences. Sharing a funny meme or sending little “I hope you are well” does go a long way. It does not have to be all long conversations.

Update your social media often

It helps you share your journey abroad with them, and a photo can serve as a great conversation starter with your loved ones and even friends you have not met for a long time.

Please note: This content was created prior to Coronavirus, and some things might be different due to current laws and restrictions. Please refer to Government advice and the University of Lincoln for the latest information.