neon sign saying 'breathe'

Tips for stress management at university

Stress. We all go through it. However, there is a way in which you can dial back that unnecessary extra bother – in fact, there are many ways.

In this article, I will be giving you advice on how to combat the stress that everyone faces in daily life. This article will mainly be targeted at first and second years, but I do think some of my tips would apply to almost everyone.

Tip Number One:

Make sure you understand the tasks that you have been set by your lecturers! Honestly, there is nothing worse than turning up to a seminar and not knowing what is going on especially when you get asked questions and you do not know the answer.

Tip Number Two:

Do the reading you have been set. Doing the reading makes you more informed about the module you are being taught, and helps you develop a deeper understanding of the module, and even the course itself.

Tip Number Three:

Have some rest! Spending your nights partying is fine, but you need to remember that you still need to leave time to do independent study. Not only that, being tired will only add to the stress. Rest can create a clear, and more productive mind, and it will put you in good stead for when you do have deadlines and essays to do.

Tip Number Four:

This may seem really obvious, but joining a society or practicing more hobbies is a good way to help you relax when you are feeling stressed. For example, I read a good fictional book or just listen to the music that I am interested in. Reading, drawing, writing, etc. Do whatever you feel is good for you.

And Tip Number Five:

If you feel as though you are struggling with work, do not stress. Prioritising your tasks can be a good way to help. Sort things in order of the date of when they need to be done, and have it written down in front of you, so that you can see when things need to be handed in. If you are struggling, ask your lecturers or tutors, they are always there to help you should you need it.

I know uni life can be hard, but trust me, once you get a hang of these things I think you will be able to smash your first year!

This article is featured on Learning at Lincoln. 

Please note: This content was created prior to Coronavirus, and some things might be different due to current laws and restrictions. Please refer to the University of Lincoln for the latest information.