Homesickness

Feeling homesick at university is very normal, and it’s okay to feel homesick. Moving away from home, especially for the first time, is a big change in your life. Although you may miss being at home, remember you have a whole new chapter of your life in front of you here, so make sure you get everything you can out of your university experience. With the thought of going home to look forward to whilst enjoying the present. It’s important to not let feelings of homesickness hold you back as you have so many new life experiences ahead of you. I felt homesick when I first came to university, and do even now from time to time in 3rd year. I’m going to share with you some of the ways I deal with homesickness.

Stay busy…

Most importantly ensure you that you immerse yourself in your degree, your social life, and explore your new home here in Lincoln. There are so many pretty sites and walks to discover. Joining a society is a really good way to make friends, and it’s never too late to join one. This could even be a society in something you have never tried before, such as a new sport or a new skill. Eventually, your mind will be so busy with your new life here you’ll realise you haven’t even had time to feel homesick.

Bring some home with you…

You want to make your new room feel as homey and comforting as possible, especially as you’re likely to be spending a reasonable amount of time in your room studying. This could include bringing photos, hot water bottles, blankets – any of your home favourites to ensure you enjoy being in your new room. I also find that having plans of when you are next going to see your family help as you can have this to look forward to.

Find some comfort…

If you have pets at home like me, I’m sure you will miss them at university too. As Welfare Officer of the Lincoln Medical Society, I organised a Dog De-stress event where several therapy dogs came into the Lincoln SU for all students to cuddle and play with. I went away from this feeling really relaxed and is something I would definitely recommend when this event happens again. There is also a cat café in Lincoln amongst other similar organisations that may be beneficial if you are missing some fuzzy cuddles.

Overall, one of the most important things to do is to talk about it, whether this is with your family or your friends, I always find that a problem shared is a problem halved, and that actually there will be so many people feeling the same way you are. It really will get easier!