University of Lincoln Campus outside the Isaac Newton Building.

Being back at university – student story

What’s it like being back?

It’s great to be back – Lincoln is a great place to live and I’m really excited for this academic year. It is slightly surreal, but that’s because most students aren’t on campus yet. Though there has been a lot of preparation to welcome back students.

A Tipi has been put up in the centre of campus, and the Engine Shed has been adapted to allow groups of 6 to socialise safely, as well as the one-way systems to help with social distancing. The measures are definitely reassuring!

I know some may be sceptical of online lectures, but they actually work really well. There are interactive platforms that make you feel engaged, and as most of our lectures are recorded anyway, it really isn’t that difficult to get used to!

What am I looking forward to?

Getting back into routine, lockdown and a long summer dragged on a bit! It’s great to get back into the swing of things, living and socialising with friends.

The Students’ Union has had to adapt to putting a lot of welcome events online, that would normally be face to face, but they have still managed to put on a lot of events in person. From walking tours and crazy golf to quizzes and open-air cinemas, it’s definitely worth checking out what they have on their website and be sure to book tickets!

Any top tips for coming to Uni?

Come prepared with a few recipes and expand your cooking skills. This is actually my second degree, but I loved learning to cook when I came to uni.

Be adaptable and organised – prepare for online delivery and know what you need to do and how to access content beforehand. I feel very well supported here and if something isn’t clear, ask.

Bring face coverings!

Favourite thing to do in Lincoln?

Very difficult question! Lincoln has something for everyone. I like exploring the city and surrounding area. I love that you can get out into local countryside so quickly by foot or cycling. Everything in Lincoln itself is in walking distance so it’s really easy to get around. The historic area surrounding the Cathedral and Castle is lovely, if you can face the walk up Lincoln’s notorious Steep Hill!

I like being creative, and last year I enjoyed visiting the art gallery for life drawing classes on a Wednesday evening.

Lincoln also has some great bars and restaurants, the new development in the Cornhill Quarter looks really nice!

Written by Will Porter – Medicine BMBS year 2