Old Trafford football stadium

Interesting things I have seen and done in the UK

I have been in the UK for more than 7 months now, and when I look back I see a number of memories.

This has made me realise the importance of living your life to the fullest; I wanted to share some, out of many interesting things, that I have done here.

International Fresher’s Party

This was the first social gathering that I attended in Lincoln. This party was organised by the Students’ Union. It was a nice gathering, and I got to meet other Indians, as well as people from other countries. It was an amazing night with a lot of dancing, karaoke and a few drinks.

Trip to Manchester

The first ever day trip since my arrival to the UK, was a trip to Manchester. The Students’ Union organised this trip for students, and they offered this trip at a very cheap price. Without giving it a though I, along with my friends, bought the tickets. I went to the Arts Museum in Manchester, then stopped for a bite in China Town, and my friends and I also went on a tour of the Manchester United Football Stadium. It was the best part of my trip – I am a huge football fan and standing on that football field was like a dream come true for me. I have even kept the stadium entry passes as a souvenir.

Hartsholme Country Park

I am a big nature lover and when I got to know about Hartsholme Country Park in Lincoln, it made to my “to do list”. I hired a bicycle and cycled to the country park. That park has a beautiful lake and path around that, there are benches to sit and enjoy the view. The walk through that park was very peaceful.

Diwali Dance Performance

I took part in a group dance performance for the Diwali party. We choreographed and performed various Bollywood numbers. I love dancing and it was such a special experience for me. At this performance, I met the people, who are now some of my best friends.

Trip to South Wales

I travelled to South Wales to attend my my friend’s graduation ceremony. She studied at the University of South Wales, so I decided to make a solo trip. I booked a ticket on a coach to South Wales via Leicester and Birmingham. It was the first time I was travelling alone in the UK, which is completely new to me. It was a fun experience, and I learnt a lot.

An unplanned trip to Nottingham

So I was craving for good Indian food, and I discovered that there are a lot of good Indian restaurants in Nottingham. Nottingham is very close to Lincoln, just an hours train journey away. My friend and I went to Nottingham just to have a plate of biryani. Whilst this was just a spontaneous plan, it was an experience I won’t forget.

Written by Indian student, Smriti Rawat (MSc Analytical Sciences).