Yellow road sign with the words "questions" and "answers" on it

Starting university: your questions answered

For most people going to university is a completely new experience, which means there tends to be lots of things you are unsure about. On our Instagram we asked for your questions about starting university, so here are some answers.

How many hours a week should I put into university?

A laptop on desk dispalying notes

Since the 1800’s the 8 hour day has been used across the world. The 8 hour day means, 8 hours of doing work, 8 hours of sleeping and 8 hours of free time. This balance allows you to complete everything you need to whilst remaining on top form.  If you did 8 hours of study 7 days a week that would be 56 hours a week, it seems like a lot but it’s definitely manageable.  Check out this great episode of the  Fresher Take podcast on mastering time management.

How is university different to college/high school?

In high school or college you will be used to studying several different subjects at once. At university most people only study one subject which means it is done at a much higher level. As well as this difference, most students go to university away from home, meaning that in addition to teaching being a lot more self-guided, you also have to motivate yourself to work as there is no one there to tell you to do it.

How much does living in student halls cost?

Bank notes and coins

There is a wide variety of accommodation available for students at the University of Lincoln. This range includes en-suite rooms, studios, one bed apartments and more. The prices for on campus, off campus and third party provider accommodation for the academic year 2020-2021 can be found here.

Where can I find support for homesickness/ mental health?

Here at Student Life we have a brilliant post on handling homesickness, but if you need more support on campus there is the Student Wellbeing Centre, friendship centre and residential wardens. The university also has great support for mental health too.

You can also check out an episode of the Fresher Take Podcast on handling homesickness below.

Did you find meeting people difficult? / How can I make friends?

Personally, as a very sociable person I found making friends to be fairly easy as I spent time outside of my studies with my course mates and I developed another friendship group where I work too. Of course how someone approaches new environments and social situations varies massively, so this might not be the same for everyone, but remember everyone is in the same boat as you!

What is the real money situation like?

Again, this is a situation that can vary massively. Personally I found a couple of flexible part time jobs that allowed me to earn an extra bit of money alongside my student loan. Some people won’t need this, and others will. The Careers and Employability team here at the university have put together the job shop which is a great place to find local, part time work tailored for students.  If you would like some tips on managing your money whilst at university check out Kathryn’s post.

What sports societies can I join and how do I find out about try-outs?

Team of footbal players kneeling in circle on pitch

At the University of Lincoln we have over 50 sports societies, meaning there is guaranteed to be something for YOU! Information about try-outs is normally available on the social media for the society you are interested in, or you can find out more by getting in touch with them on social media.

I hope that these answers help you feel more comfortable when you start university. If you have any other questions about starting university, please feel free to leave them in the comments of this post.

Be sure to check out the starting tab for more posts about starting university!