A city skyline

How my placement helped me to get a job lined up for after graduation

A British student’s advice to international students

After studying at The University of Lincoln for two years I went on a Professional Placement Year (PPY). I worked at Her Majesty’s Treasury (HM Treasury) in London as an Assistant Economist and it was an unforgettable experience!

I was able to apply my undergraduate studies from Business Economics in this line of work and improve my abilities in working at a fast pace and with all sorts of different people.

I was based in the Financial Stability Department working on Macroprudential Policy, both at the domestic and international level. This meant liaising with many officials around HM Treasury who specialise in financial stability, financial services and international relations. I also had to cooperate with officials from other big institutions such as the Bank of England and the Financial Conduct Authority.

My highlights were writing briefs for high up officials for their meetings and providing write ups on important international events which I had to attend.

I made the most of this opportunity by also getting involved with other work and extracurricular matters beyond my assigned work role. I helped out in the Chancellor’s Office for a week, where I carried out another Private Office post, and I even took on the corporate role as Chair of the Government Student Network Bulletin – a monthly newsletter for all 200 placement students around the UK in Government Department roles.

The London environment was very exciting and Whitehall in particular is a great place to be. Sometimes it can be intense but nonetheless eye opening. For instance, I experienced passionate Extinction Rebellion protestors glued to one another outside my building door and I witnessed angry protestors in the streets in the build up to Donald Trump’s state visit.

Opinions may differ but there is a strong community feel in the City! I felt part of a community in particular on the day of the London Marathon (I am a keen runner myself!) and also on Remembrance Day when I joined thousands in Parliament Street to reflect on our past.

I was welcomed back to The University of Lincoln with many congratulations from staff and students on the success of my PPY. All us PPY students got to celebrate our achievements by having an awards afternoon and drinks reception.

I am lucky enough to say that I have a conditional offer to go back to HM Treasury! This is great news and is keeping me motivated for my last year at university!

By Lydia Gallyer-Barnett, BA (Hons) Business Economics student