group of students smiling

A trip to Hull

This post contains outdated information, for a newer article please read: Travelling Europe while living in Lincoln Tips for travelling…

This post contains outdated information, for a newer article please read:

Travelling Europe while living in Lincoln

Tips for travelling this summer

It is really hard for me to tell people what the best thing is about the University of Lincoln, but I would like to highlight Lincoln International Business School’s Global Certificate. This will hopefully strengthen my CV and help me when I start having to look for a job after graduation.

There are lots of really interesting activities to do towards getting this certificate and I recently went on an organised trip to Hull, which was part of it.

The trip was free for students and was open to Global Certificate participants and BGlobal (intercultural transition) students first. It’s possible to invite friends too if there is space left.

To gain the Platinum element of the Global Certificate students have to create an event, trip or social event with help from the LIBS international team, who help students with bookings, how to promote, risk assessments and budget so they have training for this areas.

Nearly 50 business students from many different countries joined this trip and we were all excited to discover the port city in East Yorkshire which is across from the Humber Bridge.

The first part of the trip involved visiting two museums and then we went to a large aquarium called The Deep.

Our first stop was the Streetlife Museum of Transport in the city centre. If you think that museums can be boring, you must come to visit this amazing place. We had a look around vintage cars, horse-drawn carriages, and other local forms of transport. There was also a miniature city centre with models of some old-fashioned stores, as well as a chance to experience a simulation of horse-drawn carriages.

Wilberforce House was the second museum of the trip, which is the birthplace of William Wilberforce, a famous campaigner against the slave trade. This museum taught us how important human rights are for people over the world.  As an international student, this was really interesting to see.

We then went to The Deep, which is one of the biggest aquariums in the UK with more than 3,000 creatures. It was my first time seeing real penguins, sharks and swordfish as well as other unique fish in a viewing tunnel. The visit to the Deep was not just about looking at the fish, there was also lots of information about the meaning of this place, which is to talk about how to conserve marine life and protect these lovely fish.

When we left The Deep, we could see the Humber river, which made us feel like we were stood at the beach. It was a little bit emotional as I have not seen a real beach for a year. Hull city was a great trip that makes all of us feel happy and I’m pleased that it was arranged by staff and students at the Lincoln International Business School.

Lincoln has been a good base for me to explore lots of different places, many of which I didn’t know before I came to the UK from Vietnam. I’m really grateful for all of the work that goes into planning and organising these events as they add so much to my experience here.

For more information about the Global Certificate please email libsinternational@lincoln.ac.uk.

By Anh, MSc Tourism and Marketing student from Vietnam