The Lincoln Cathedral lit at night

Moving from an old city to an even older one

Every person in this university has a reason for coming here to Lincoln. Some may like the accommodation, some may favour the nightlife. Most of you probably valued the Gold standard rating the uni offered. However, if you’re like me, the number one reason you chose this university would have been the architecture.

I chose the thousands of years of history and charm this city has to offer, purely because it reminded me of home. I live in Manchester, one of the most famous cities in the UK. It’s been the home of the best indie bands, the best milkshake shops, and right behind my house is the dino golf course that everyone raves about on Facebook (and no it’s not really worth the ten quid…). It has some of the most beautiful, and old architecture.

So when people ask why I didn’t choose the University of Manchester, or somewhere a bit closer to home, I tell them about the beautiful sites in Lincoln, like the cathedral, or the castle, or even the small alleyway leading onto the high street.

Not to sound too much like a history nerd, but old buildings and streets give me so much joy when looking at the history behind them. I nearly keeled over when I saw the Lincoln Castle for the first time. The beauty of the city allowed me to feel so much closer to home, even two hours away.

Now don’t get me wrong. This has been the hardest two weeks of my life. I miss my family. I miss my bed. I miss my dog. And no matter how hard I try, I still haven’t found a fellow Mancunian to talk about bees and whether they’re red or blue, (red, by the way). But a few days ago, my dad gave me call and asked how I was doing. I told him straight how I felt and his advice – although not the most poetic or full of wisdom – was really comforting. He told me to “Keep busy, kid”.

Three simple words. And as usual he was right. I transferred my job at Pizza Hut from Manchester to Lincoln, so I can finally earn back the money I threw on Chinese takeaway in Freshers… I also started reading more. I started writing more. I go to the gym now, because my Drama and English course has really opened my eyes to just how unfit I am! And I’m calling home only once a day now, which is a vast improvement on how often the calls were in the first week!

So for those coping with moving far from home, just like me. Find something you value about the city. Something that gives you joy. It’s okay to feel homesick, in fact it’s perfectly normal. Once you find that value, you’ll feel more at home, and if you still feel that my advice isn’t doing the trick, take it from a stern yet lovable, proud Mancunian father, and just keep busy.